June 14, 2019

[Review] Candy Color Paradox, Vol. 2 - Isaku Natsume

Summary: Reporter Onoe and photographer Kaburagi constantly bicker and argue on their stakeouts, but will their antagonistic behavior paradoxically evolve into something sweeter?

Satoshi Onoe, a reporter for a weekly magazine, has a new stakeout partner, and he’s anything but thrilled about it. Photographer Motoharu Kaburagi’s unconventional reporting methods and overall bad attitude are enough to drive Onoe insane. But the more the two work together, the closer they get.

Kaburagi and Onoe still bicker constantly, but at the end of the day they’re firmly in love. But suddenly Kaburagi’s sister Noriko shows up! Apparently, the two of them don’t get along very well…or at all, really. But Noriko does manage to hit it off with Onoe, and the two start hatching plots to knock Kaburagi’s ego down a peg or three…
(Pub Date: Jun 11, 2019)

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

I didn't get the chance to review the first volume so I was extremely happy for being allowed to do it for this one. So first things first, what's the overall on this manga? Going to the point, it's your average Boys Love. Onoe couldn't stand how Kaburagi behaved and yet they're put to work together. Eventually, there are some sparks. I'm trying not to spoil volume 1 here.

So, is it worth it? For the first volume, I didn't see anything much, it's fun, they have chemistry, but it's the same story we've been reading time and again. There are some sex scenes here and there but they're probably 5%? Or even less? I'm not into smut, so I can't judge it but I can say that if you're also not into it,they're easy to skip and make no difference to the story, which is always a relief when I pick any BL. In general, it feels that the author was writing something that could be easily finished in a single volume but got an okay to go on.

And I'm glad. Second volume wasn't that superior, but I liked the character development. We learn more about Kaburagi and his personality, also hear a little about his family (I'm sure there's more coming ahead though). I still think it's not spectacular, but I'm looking forward to getting to know them.

It's a manga with good art, interesting side characters, some plot twists I don't usually expect and great jokes. If you've read volume 1 and feel iffy as I was, go ahead and give volume 2 a try.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment