
Summary: For as long as Jasmine Costa can remember, her family has had a sworn
enemy: the snobby Moreno family, who live next door. Jasmine especially
can't stand the teenage son, Ryan, who acts like he's so much better than her.This Christmas, the rivalry heats up when their small town holds a contest for best-decorated house. Jasmine has
to take home the trophy. But then she and Ryan unexpectedly get thrown
together during a holiday party...and discover that they have undeniable
(and inconvenient) chemistry. Uh-oh.
As a secret romance blossoms
amid the snow and the tinsel, Jasmine will have to make a choice. Can
she stay loyal to her loved ones while falling for the one boy who's
off-limits?
Beloved author Kasie West delivers a cozy Christmas rom-com that's the perfect read for anyone who's ever had a crush. (Pub Date: Oct 20 2026)
Oh wow, look at those edges! I can't attest them myself because I only got the ebook, but they look so cute! And very in theme with the book too. I'm probably getting a physical version once it's out...
But onto the review of what I can really attest. This is the kind of book you want for your holidays. And the kind of book you want from Kasie West (is it too late for the disclaimer that I've been a fan for ten years?).
No, it's not perfect, unforgettable, a work of art. It's not a solid 4, to be honest, but deserving of a round-up. You get your regular contemporary YA romance between the son and a daughter of neighbors who haven't gotten along since forever in a very small town. The magic of it is that this town is the place to go for Christmas decoration, to a point the streets are impossible when the night falls, so crowded they get from tourists checking out all the houses competing for best decoration of the year.
But one day, Jasmine finally opens her mind to the possibility that Ryan might be a good person, but he's also the son of the neighbors her mothers hate, and all the more after their precious decoration piece handmade by Jasmine's grandmother magically disappeared. It's not a coincidence that their names have the same initials for Romeo and Juliet, a lot of the characters seem to, for example Jasmine's older brother is Marcus, like Mercutio. But it's not a reread of Romeo and Juliet, don't worry. It's more like a homage that also extends to some other tales like Cinderella and The Grinch.
I loved the atmosphere in it. It's like we're in Gilmore Girls' Stars Hollow for a Christmas competition. It's lovely and not too much so it doesn't get in the way of the plot. And I really liked the pacing. The 'enemies' part is set very clearly and the 'to lovers' transition is done smoothly. There was no sudden passion but there was no inorganic slowness just to hold back the plot (I don't usually complain about it, but it's always obvious when the writer is doing it on purpose). West manages to control and actually large cast of characters and knit this story seamlessly. With great swoonworthy moments, of course.
What I always appreciate about West's book is also there: great book boyfriends and great family moments. I wonder if she makes it a point in every book she starts.
This story doesn't go really far though. It's a cozy read for your YA romance needs, but done masterfully. Don't miss it!
Honest review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.
Rating: 4 out of 5.
No comments:
Post a Comment