November 19, 2017

[Review] All of the Above - Quinn Anderson

Summary: Brendon isn’t in a rut, per se—he just always seems to be in-between things. Jobs. Degrees. Boyfriends. He never finishes what he starts. The perfect path is out there somewhere, and if he can just figure out what it is, he’s certain everything else will fall into place.

The last thing he expects is to meet his soul mate in the pages of a magazine quiz. “Who Is Your Perfect Man?” by Matthew Kingston seems like a road map to his future husband: the author himself. Brendon may not have his life figured out, but if Matt is as romantic as his quiz, Brendon can check “true love” off his to-do list.

When Brendon fakes a meet-cute between them, Matt proves to be as wonderful as he hoped. The more Brendon gets to know him, the harder he falls. But Brendon has a confession to make: how can he explain to Matt that he arranged their “fated” meeting? Brendon can’t tell if he’s found his soul mate, heartache, or all of the above.
(Pub Date: Nov 20, 2017)

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

It's no secret I really enjoy this author's works but this is my first time reading a book outside the series I'm following so I wondered how different this would be.

The story is simple: after taking a quiz, Brendon notices he is very compatible with its creator. Since it was a local magazine, it wasn't hard to locate the person, Matthew Kingston, and simulate a meet-cute. The problem rises when the two notice some incompatibilities among so may things they have in common.

Maybe because I found it weird when I read the summary about him falling for Matthew from a quiz, I didn't feel so surprised by Brendon's stalking. I did feel a little creeped out, but this is a topic discussed in the book so it was okay in the end. What I didn't like was Matthew himself. This was a very quick book so maybe I needed more time to get to know him but his quiz would repel me instead of making me interested. Also, even if he was almost the whole book described to look like a teacher, he missed the vibes. I guess I'm stereotyping too much, but I did expect more of him.

Aside from that, it's a book to read in a day so easy and fun it is. The plot is quite simple too but I liked the way it goes deeper on their personalities, the clash seemed very real to me as fantastic as their meeting had been. It's uplifted with a little bit of seriousness to give it credibility.

If you're looking for steamy scenes, there is something but not enough—I'm not fond of smut so it was great for me. I'm not saying this because I wasn't into Matthew. As a matter of fact, I can only remember one scene really. So yes, there would usually be more in books of the genre. And also yes, I'm thankful there wasn't.

You won't regret choosing this to pass time. Just be alerted that Brendon does act stalkerish if that's the type of thing that really puts you off (and Matthew is too blah but it's just my personal opinion lol). In any case, for me this was the ideal amount of fun needed to take my mind off things!

Rating: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment