February 4, 2024

[Review] The Last Days of Lilah Goodluck - Kylie Scott

Summary: When Lilah Goodluck saves the life of Good Witch Willow as they’re crossing a busy L.A. street, the last thing she expects is five unwanted predictions as a reward. Who gives someone the winning lotto numbers then tells them they’ve only got a week to live? And who believes in that nonsense anyway?
 
But when the first three predictions come true within twenty-four hours, Lilah’s disbelief turns to mild panic. She’s further horrified when she nearly runs a car off the road that belongs to Alistair Lennox, who just happens to be the illegitimate son of the British king.
 
While Alistair is intrigued by her preposterous story, Lilah is adamant about resisting the heat between her and the playboy prince. If she denies he’s her soulmate, then the last prediction can’t come true, right? As the days count down, they become maybe friends…and then maybe more. But between the relentless paparazzi and some disapproving royals, finding time for love isn’t easy, especially when her days may be numbered.
(Pub Date: Feb 06, 2024)

 

 This had everything to be a hilarious chick lit read, and it managed to be that for a lot of it, but from some point I stopped caring so much for what would happen.

There are two tropes ongoing: Lilah knows she's going die after a bunch of other predictions for her came true, including meeting the illegitimate son of the British king and millionaire Alistair—who she likes calling Ali just to tick him off. The second trope is exactly that, dating the member of the British royal family, and all the drama that comes with it, including the shenanigans from firm, the paparazzi... I think it was this latter trope that didn't entertain me as much, even though it was thanks to it that we get to know the best character in the book, Ali's mother.

Talking about characters, the romance isn't that swoonworthy. There wasn't any high point for me to list here, but I don't hate them. They're a couple, and this is their getting together, that's it. I'm so relieved there wasn't any drama about that either. They have their doubts, there's the problem that they've only just met, but it's all dealt without wasting our times. Yay.

Now, the characters have a tendency to be exaggerated to try to be funny, and while it doesn't always work, it never gets to irritating either. Plus, as I said, I'm in love with Lady Helena and all the crazy stunts she pulls. She's the most memorable part of this book, for sure. But I think the author tries to give her parents a crazy dynamic as well, and that didn't work for me. I was expecting a lot of the scene Ali and Lilah need to talk to her parents, but it had such a weird flow, plus her mother seemed to have a different voice each scene she appeared, which made me wonder again if it wasn't forcing too much her reactions at this point. 

Lilah never forgets she's going to die, it's not a part of the plot that is left behind as the romance buds, but I also think it was weird how it sits back for some moments when she gets closer to the date the witch predicted it would happen. I didn't want drama, but the execution didn't feel right as it was either. 

I enjoyed this book, but I lost my fascination over it just as suddenly as I fell in love with it in the beginning. However, I liked the ideas from this author and will love to read whatever she's working on next.



Honest review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment