May 23, 2021

[Review] The Springtime of My Life Began with You, Vol. 1 - Nikki Asada

Summary: Suehiro is a quiet girl, who prefers the excitement of her books to the real-life anxieties of friends. She'd been perfectly happy in her own little world until ultra-popular guy Takasago asked her out as part of a punishment game right in front of the class, bringing Suehiro front and center. Mortified, she tries everything to get away...but he persists, and insists he's serious! How will she deal with such an interruption to her previously quiet life? (Pub Date: May 11 2021)


Not only the title for this manga is uber cute but the cover too kept calling to me (more than how literally the character is stretching his hands to me). I had never heard of this title, but it has all the elements for a nice shoujo manga.

Suehiro is your typical manga girl, she's shy, she can't make friends, but she seems okay with that, spending her days reading books. One day, Takasago, the popular guy all shoujo manga main characters must meet, asks her out because of a punishment game. She declines instantly, but he persists with admirable effort. 

The story is born from a very used trope of popular guy changes quiet girl's life while she discovers his big secret and accepts the side of him he's always hidden (the last part isn't really obvious in this first volume so I'm only guessing). Still, not only I love the trope, but also Takasago is cute, he's far from those loud, conceited popular guys we usually find, so I myself am intrigued. I'd also love to find out more about his reasons to ask her out, even the game is never explained in this beginning. And this has a big chance of being a love triangle, because there's another guy, one more similar to Suehiro, who shows up here and there. What are his intentions? What is his connection with Suehiro's favorite book? 

From the cover you can guess the drawing is pretty. Also, the story flows very well, making this a quick read. And after reading this review, you can see how a story that begins so simple actually made me intrigued. I definitely want to read more! One detail I look forward in the following volumes is the side characters. In the end of the volume we get an extra showing their other classmates and I'll take a guess they'll probably be important to the story in the future, but how? 

Definitely recommended to those who like shoujo manga.


Honest review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment