January 19, 2021

[Review] You Have a Match - Emma Lord

Summary: When Abby signs up for a DNA service, it’s mainly to give her friend and secret love interest, Leo, a nudge. After all, she knows who she is already: Avid photographer. Injury-prone tree climber. Best friend to Leo and Connie…although ever since the B.E.I. (Big Embarrassing Incident) with Leo, things have been awkward on that front.

But she didn’t know she’s a younger sister.

When the DNA service reveals Abby has a secret sister, shimmery-haired Instagram star Savannah Tully, it’s hard to believe they’re from the same planet, never mind the same parents — especially considering Savannah, queen of green smoothies, is only a year and a half older than Abby herself.

The logical course of action? Meet up at summer camp (obviously) and figure out why Abby’s parents gave Savvy up for adoption. But there are complications: Savvy is a rigid rule-follower and total narc. Leo is the camp’s co-chef, putting Abby's growing feelings for him on blast. And her parents have a secret that threatens to unravel everything.

But part of life is showing up, leaning in, and learning to fit all your awkward pieces together. Because sometimes, the hardest things can also be the best ones.
(Pub Date: Jan 06 2021)

 

I was really into Tweet Cute and was surprised that this book didn't appear to have much in common, to a point I eventually forgot it was by the same writer.  

3+. 

The summary is quite straightforward. Abby ends up joining her friends on a genealogy test and what was just something turns up with finding a lost sister. And not from some affair one of her parents may have had—Savvy is just a year older and daughter of both her parents'. But how? Why? When Savvy invites her so they get to know each other better, Abby decides to escape summer school and join the same camp as her newly-found sister, unknowing to her (their?) parents.

The book starts with Abby in love with her best friend Leo, the same boy who came up with the idea for the test, and when she finds him in the same camp she went with Savvy, I thought this would focus on the romance. But to be honest, this from a big YA romance fan, it was probably the book's weakness. Not only is it barely important to the plot, but it was also unwelcome distraction. It was funny to see all the coincidences, how Abby and Savvy indirectly knew each other through Leo but no one ever noticed they were almost twins so different their personalities. However, this could have been attained any other way. 

Don't get this wrong, because Leo is cute. Total book boyfriend. But every time Abby started complaining about her unrequited loved, I'd roll my eyes and drop the book for a later time. It was just not what was calling to me. (Though I also liked Finn, I'm glad he wasn't her romantic interest either, considering his borderline-suicidal behavior). 

Since I'm on topic, the characters are great. Out of the most featured, there wasn't one I didn't like (I'm telling you, I liked Leo, I just didn't like all the drama between the two). I liked how each had their stories and how they actually wrapped by the end. 

I also liked how things were explained and how it all concluded. In fact, it was only while reading the story that I saw more and more from the author of Tweet Cute. Indeed, the romance isn't as... cute? Or entertaining, but the book in general is perfect for anyone who liked its predecessor. I'd start from Tweet Cute, which I found that didn't drag like this one. But if you're not into romances, this is a great coming of age with a pint of mystery.


Honest review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment