December 13, 2019

[Review] Lucky Caller by Emma Mills

Summary: When Nina decides to take a radio broadcasting class her senior year, she expects it to be a walk in the park. Instead, it’s a complete disaster.

The members of Nina's haphazardly formed radio team have approximately nothing in common. And to maximize the awkwardness her group includes Jamie—a childhood friend she'd hoped to basically avoid for the rest of her life.

With the warmth, wit, intimate friendships, and heart-melting romance she brings to all her books, Emma Mills crafts a story about believing in yourself, owning your mistakes, and trusting in human connection. Fans of Jenny Han and Morgan Matson will find a new favorite in Emma Mills.
(Pub Date: Jan 14, 2020)

Nina is taking a broadcasting class and that means her groups needs to maintain a show on the school's radio station. She gets the producer role, but she'll have to work with Jamie her childhood friend, with whom things became weird during their pre-teens, and figure out more stuff about herself than she'd like to acknowledge as problems.

3.5. 

I think this was my first time reading Emma Mills and I can see why people like her so much. Her characters are deeper and her stories also have more layers than what you expect from the summary. And still, it's all lots of fun.

I think I'd have had more fun if Nina were the announcer and that's what I expected when I started reading, but this gave the opportunity to learn more about the other people in her group and have lots of fun. I'd say kudos to Mills for not making her leading character the leader, as the cliché would have gone.

Jamie is also a very sweet romantic interest, although I confess he didn't make me swoon so much. Still, I kept cheering for the two. We can really see their relationship progress without it being simply because the author wanted—ultimately, everything is, but you get what I mean. Also, even though slow burn is the motto, there was a really, really good kissing scene that took my breath away. Look forward.

I also like all the family theme going on. Nina's relationship with her sisters is very fun, and also Jamie's with his grandparents.

However, it's still far from stellar. I know the make believe game they had going on was supposed to be heartwarming but I felt a little bored. The writing is also a little too dragged at times, making you feel like skipping some paragraphs, because you know she could have gone more straight to the point. We have lots of elements introduced that doesn't go very far, like one student's radio program. Even the other group's program or Nina's father's didn't feel that useful to the plot either considering the focus they get in the book. Last, the plot is very predictable even when you want to believe otherwise, but it doesn't make it less cute, at least.

That said, it's a cute YA romance, that is better than many but it gets longer than necessary while not delivering enough to make it worth it.


Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment