November 27, 2019

[Review] The Other People - C. J. Tudor

Summary: Driving home one night, Gabe is stuck behind a rusty old car. He sees a little girl’s face appear in its rear window. She mouths one word: Daddy. It’s his five-year-old daughter, Izzy. He never sees her again.

Three years later, Gabe spends his days and nights traveling up and down the highway, searching for the car that took his daughter, refusing to give up hope, even though most people believe she’s dead.

When the car that he saw escape with his little girl is found abandoned with a body inside, Gabe must confront not just the day Izzy disappeared but the painful events from his past now dredged to the surface.

Q: What sort of justice?
A: That depends on the individual. But our ethos is a punishment that fits the crime.

Fran and her daughter, Alice, also put in a lot of miles on the road. Not searching. Running. Trying to keep one step ahead of the people who want to hurt them—because Fran knows the truth. She knows what really happened to Gabe’s daughter.

She knows who is responsible. And she knows what they will do if they ever catch up to her and Alice.

Q: Can I request to have someone killed?
A: If your Request is acceptable, and unless there are exceptional circumstances, we fulfill all Requests.
(Pub Date: Jan 28, 2020)

A good thriller to make you question reality itself.

3.5, rounded up, because the reading was very enjoyable.

The unimaginable happened to Gabe when he was just going home to his family, like any other day. His wife and daughter were brutally killed. But, if that's true, why did he see his daughter in a car hours after she had been dead? He now spends his days searching for traces that could lead him to understand the little girl he saw calling to him that night.

This book is told in several points of views and another is Kate, a waitress who sees Gabe every week, not knowing the special connection the two share and how important she'll become to him. And to be honest, she was my favorite character in all this. Although, given the circumstances, she's the easiest to relate.

I was a big fan of The Chalk Man but not so much of this author's following work, so I should say I was skeptical about this one. Yet, this surprised me in a great way. While I wasn't as involved as in The Chalk Man, the story kept me guessing every turn. This was surely a great comeback.

I liked how the ending wrapped things up, it gives a satisfactory feeling, although, for a moment, I thought there would still be some knots left. Luckily, I think it was all resolved in a way or another.

My lower grade is because I can't say it left that big an impression either. I had a great time reading and while some elements were interesting, it wasn't all that new. I also have a problem with the supernatural parts I unfortunately can't say here because I don't want to spoil anyone, but it got considerably in the way of my enjoying the read. Just don't expect much in that area.

Still, this is nice as a thriller, and much above what we see around.

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment