December 19, 2018

[Review] When the Truth Unravels - RuthAnne Snow

Summary: Last month, Elin tried to kill herself.

She knows she’s lucky she was found in time. Lucky to be going to prom with her three best friends, like any other teen. Like it never happened. And if she has anything to say about it, no one but her best friends will ever know it did.

Jenna, Rosie, and Ket will do anything to keep Elin’s secret—and to make sure it never happens again. That’s why they’re determined to make prom night feel just like it would have if this past spring hadn’t been as eventful. This could be the night that convinces Elin that life can go back to what it was.

Except, at prom, Elin goes missing.

Now it’s up to her friends to find her. But each of the girls has her own demons to face. Ket is being blackmailed by an ex. Rosie is falling in love for the first time. And Jenna . . .

Jenna is falling apart.

And no one, not even her best friends, knows why. 
(Pub Date: Jan 08, 2019)

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

This plot goes deep but it's not emotional like The Last Time We Say Goodbye or anything. If anything, it kind of felt like a thriller, though there was no actual reason for me to feel that way. Still, with every plot twist I felt we'd end up having to run for our lives. Well, if this were a whodunnit at all, the answer is too clear—depression is a B. And the book did sound like it was a 'who's gonna be its next victim?'.

But I'm babbling even before saying what it really is about. We have the points of views of four friends surrounding mostly the aftermath of a suicide attempt. There are so many books on the hardships of those who survive the suicide of a beloved one, and this book tells us, with reason, it's almost as hard if the person failed. Why did she do it? Will she do it again? Did my friendship fail her? Did I almost kill her? Am I worthy? Should I be next? Without being overly dramatic that's what the book was about.

All the girls were amazing. I cheered for each of them to be happy. And what I most loved was that they were really friends. Of course they doubt their bonds after the tragedy, but the reader can see the very doubt is born out of love for one another. So I wanted more than them to be happy, I wanted the four to be happy together, even if high school was ending and each would go her way.

An important question is whether this will pull any triggers. I didn't feel it was too graphic, but they do describe this or that. Also, suicide is still an ever present topic, though it was more like the elephant in the room for the major part of the story. So be warned.

Though I'm no expert, I think it deals with the topic in a great way. I wish I could spoil to you why I applauded it hard in the end, but I was more than relieved, I felt very glad for the reason the author gives to the suicide attempt, since I think many books on the topic tend to pick the other way for drama. But no spoilers.

I didn't notice this get so long, so I'll only say this is a solid 4. I'm not so into "this is the story of three/four girls", and I'm glad I opened an exception.

Rating: 4 out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment