September 30, 2018

[Review] Ao Haru Ride, Vol. 1 - Io Sakisaka

Summary: In high school, Futaba gets a second chance with her first love, Kou.

Futaba Yoshioka thought all boys were loud and obnoxious until she met Kou Tanaka in junior high. But as soon as she realized she really liked him, he had already moved away because of family issues. Now, in high school, Kou has reappeared, but is he still the same boy she fell in love with?
(Pub Date: Oct 2nd, 2018)

It's been a while since I first heard of the manga, so I already knew this would be good. I knew it so much I was sure I would be let down. I wasn't, it's indeed that good.

Back in the beginning of junior high, Futaba's first love moved all of a sudden and the little misunderstanding between the two was never cleared. Now in high school she meets him again, but he's changed so much, even his last name isn't the same anymore. Or has he changed all that much?

It's that type of cute coming-of-age story you'd expect from the cover and title, but you see the potential of this becoming a heartbreaker. We don't know what's happened with Kou that made him move, but I'm sure it's something really big if it's made him change so much.

I enjoyed a lot the details. Futaba is afraid of being left alone, so she clings to fake friends who also force her to be what she isn't. Great food for thought, really. And thanks to that we end up meeting a few other characters who'll certainly come up again in the following volumes.

I didn't give it five stars because, even though it's good and well drawn, I didn't think it was superb. So far it could as well become another shoujo manga among many more. 

Still, I'm super excited to see where this goes. It's certainly one of the big hits in Japan and I'm glad we're not left out anymore.


Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment