August 1, 2018

[Review] The Last Best Story - Maggie Lehrman

Summary: Rose Regnero was a star reporter for her high school paper, destined for a career in journalism, when she abruptly quit two months ago, leaving behind her very-nearly-sort-of-boyfriend and editor-in-chief, Grant. Now she is trying to be normal at her senior prom, with a new boy and new interests, and isn’t looking back.

Grant was totally blindsided when Rose walked away from the Gazette. After all, they’d dedicated their lives to it for the past four years, had even planned on majoring in journalism together at Northwestern—which is why Grant is determined to entice Rose back. But whether it’s really to the paper or to him he’s not entirely sure.

When an alarm is set off at prom and the school goes on lockdown, Grant discovers that someone is loose in the building with a gun. But Rose, caught outside the gym, knows different. Will her instincts for a good story win out against her resolve to leave Grant and the paper behind?
(Pub Date: Aug 07, 2018)

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

A little too slow and for not much.

Rose has quit the Gazette and decided not to go the college she'd been aiming for, she's also let go of her long-time crush, editor-in-chief Grant. It's been months and now it's prom, but Grant is not her date. When her best friend's boyfriend gets in trouble, her reporter self speaks louder and she goes after the vice principal. That's when the school goes into lockdown. Someone has a gun and Rose can't keep away from one last story.

I'd say this book's biggest problem was that it took too long for something to happen and then nothing much happens to compensate. In the end, I'd say this is more of a romance than a thriller. But because of the thriller, even the romance wasn't that well developed.

I did like Rose, I think her identity crisis was the big point in this book for me. Grant has always kept her rolling to a point she's not sure what is it she wanted herself and starts denying it all. And I also liked how it wasn't all Grant's fault, though it seems in the beginning. I won't spoil it all for you, of course, but it felt quite real that she'd have a breakdown. I think this author was very good in getting the personalities of each of her characters, not only Rose's.

The thing is, as much as I did enjoy Grant as a character, I didn't get the romance. I mean, it would be disappointing for me if the two weren't a thing at some point, I love romances and they were the main characters. Still, I don't see how Grant deserves Rose's affection. He's selfish and the little he did well didn't atone him in my opinion. So the romance was more of a fail, I couldn't cheer for them and perhaps I even cheered against them at some point.

As for the thriller, I wanted something more breathtaking. Something like This is Where It Ends. And the conclusion wasn't satisfying either. At a point I didn't even care what the answer to the whole mystery was, to be honest.

So, while this was well written and filled with good characters, it was neither a good romance nor a good thriller. I'm sure it took a lot of work to build all the story, so it's a pity the result was this underwhelming. It's still quick and pleasant to read, just not all it could have been.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment