June 21, 2018

[Review] Wild Blue Wonder by Carlie Sorosiak

Summary: Last June, the summer camp Quinn’s family owns in Winship, Maine, was still a magical, hopeful place. A place where wild blueberries grew no matter the season, a legendary sea monster very possibly lurked in the waters, and Quinn fell in love with her best friend, Dylan.

Then the accident happened.

Now, Quinn’s heart is broken, her family is falling apart, and Quinn blames herself. But the new boy in town, Alexander, doesn’t see her as the monster she believes herself to be. As Quinn lets herself open up again, she begins to understand the truth about love, loss, and monsters—real and imagined.
(Pub Date: June 26, 2018)

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

Quinn believes there are two monsters where she lives, the mythical creature she once saw in the water and herself. Since her best friend's death months before, her family hasn't been the same.

This is a great story about moving on, dealing with guilt and other people's grief besides your own.

I really liked this author's choice of words, my heart broke for Quinn when she says she is one of the monsters. Also, this book has too timelines, one at the time of the accident and another for the present day. The former is narrated as if it's a letter to Quinn's friend, and the tone used here is my favorite thing in the whole book.

I can't say this is unforgettable, I think we've been getting a lot of similarly well-written stories exploring a similar theme, but it was still such a pleasing read! I'd say my biggest complaint was Alexander's accent, I felt as if I was reading Doctor Who fanfiction from the amount of times he repeats "brilliant". The English accent was to be charming but it was too stereotyped and got in the way of me feeling charmed by Alexander, who was a great character, by the way.

In all, this is a book I recommend even to those past the target audience.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment