May 2, 2018

[Review] Listen to Your Heart - Kasie West

Summary: Talking to other people isn't Kate Bailey's favorite activity. She'd much rather be out on the lake, soaking up the solitude and sunshine. So when her best friend, Alana, convinces Kate to join their high school's podcast, Kate is not expecting to be chosen as the host. Now she'll have to answer calls and give advice on the air? Impossible.But to Kate's surprise, she turns out to be pretty good at the hosting gig. Then the podcast gets in a call from an anonymous guy, asking for advice about his unnamed crush. Kate is pretty sure that the caller is gorgeous Diego Martinez, and even surer that the girl in question is Alana. Kate is excited for her friend . . . until Kate herself starts to develop feelings for Diego. Suddenly, Kate finds that while doling out wisdom to others may be easy, asking for help is tougher than it looks, and following your own advice is even harder. Kasie West's adorable story of secrets, love, and friendship is sure to win over hearts everywhere. (Pub Date: May 1st, 2018)

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

I should add to my disclaimer that I'm a Kasie West fan. I can't not read her books whenever I can get my hands on them, and I keep saving for darker times the older ones just in case I need a little bit of sunshine.

That said, Listen to your Heart wasn't exactly a disappointment because the first half was really good and the second didn't go that bad. I think this is back to the West I first read, great ideas, great beginnings, but the moment she needs to go start concluding things the excitement slowly perishes.

So I'd call this one a 3.5.

The story here is actually fun, about a podcast class at school Kate takes with her best friend. For some reason, Alana's crush Diego seems to be calling them for advice but since it's anonymously they can't directly talk to him about it to confirm beyond doubt. In the end, it could be anyone with a similar voice. So the story progresses as Kate starts getting used to presenting the podcast as well as to Diego's presence in her life. Perhaps, she's getting a little close.

There's this thing I really like the idea of a story discussing what to do if you fall for your friend's crush/boyfriend but I don't always like the execution. West excelled here, in my opinion. For one, the two girls are true best friends, since most books find a way to turn the friend into a frenemy or the such. For two, they do discuss the problem. YA's are very important for teenagers to seek help. How many times did I not think back to a situation in a book I'd read as a guide on how to proceed in real life? Teenagers don't always open up to others, especially when the issue -is- their best friend. That's why I prefer books that really go into the problem instead of choosing the easier way out—it's not usually available in real like, after all. Also, I like how it ended up, a bit weird but still quite fine.

When I say I liked how it ended up it doesn't mean I had that much fun reading it all. I'd say it was the last quarter that made me drag but from half the book on it was already losing steam. Which is a pity because it starts really well.

Still, while I was wondering about the whole podcast thing already being a little outdated, it was super fun. And I got some Sleepless in Seattle vibes without it being too "here is the movie script with changed names and setting".

Another great point is that this do have romance, it is one of the main topics, but the focus is even greater on friendship and self-grow. And no, it's not boring, believe me. It was great this way. More romance and it wouldn't have been as special.

If you still don't know Kasie West (shame on you!, just kidding!), there's a topic here that I suspect is her trademark, family. Kate's living arrangements are not very common, she basically lives with her cousins. They're different houses but all connected. This wasn't that important to the story (though it's not only in the background either), but I still liked the scenes very much. Also, it's always weird how YA books tend to forget teenagers need to have parents.

I do recommend this book because there are so many minor points that made me go "now this is what I love about YA's" without it being more of the same. Moreover, the plot is interesting and entertaining. I may say the last part wasn't as gripping but it's only because all else gave me to many expectations.To be honest, it had been a while since I liked West's releases this much. Do give it a chance.

 Rating: 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment