May 9, 2018

[Review] The Lies They Tell - Gillian French

Summary: Everyone in Tenney’s Harbor, Maine, knows about the Garrison tragedy. How an unexplained fire ravaged their house, killing four of the five family members. But what people don’t know is who did it. All fingers point at Pearl Haskins’s father, the town drunk, who was the caretaker of the property, but she just can’t believe it. Leave it to a town of rich people to blame “the help.”

With her disgraced father now trying to find work in between booze benders, Pearl’s future doesn’t hold much more than waiting tables at the local country club, where the wealthy come to flaunt their money and spread their gossip. This year, Tristan, the last surviving Garrison, and his group of affluent and arrogant friends have made a point of sitting in Pearl’s section. Though she’s repulsed by most of them, Tristan’s quiet sadness and somber demeanor have her rethinking her judgments. Befriending the boys could mean getting closer to the truth, clearing her father’s name, and giving Tristan the closure he seems to be searching for. But it could also trap Pearl in a sinister web of secrets, lies, and betrayals that, once untangled, will leave no life unchanged . . . if it doesn’t take hers first.
(Pub Date: May 1st, 2018)

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

I wasn’t ready for this book. If Pearl wasn’t a teenager and the point of view weren’t all hers, I’d even argue this isn’t YA. I’m always glad when a writer takes her YA seriously.

After her father loses most of his jobs thanks to a tragedy happen right under his watch, Pear is working at the club when one of the rich guys seem to take special interest in her. She knows not to fall for their sweet talks, but his friend Tristan, the sole survivor of the tragedy, makes it impossible for her to stay away. Especially when she finally comes across a clue that could finally help unravel the happenings during that day, and who knows recover the trust her father has lost.

It took me a while to warm up to Pearl but she is a nice character. I like how she is smart but will still make mistakes, she felt very real in her fascination. What really got me in this story, though, was the atmosphere. It reminds me of some early 2000’s, maybe late 90’s TV series, something like Young Americans meets Gossip Girl meets One Tree Hill? I guess the nostalgia it brought me was what pulled me most while reading this.

I don’t think it’s perfect. The mystery itself, while I couldn’t predict it beyond doubt, I can’t say it was that twisty. Even though characters like Tristan could seem mysterious at first, they were just weird after all, which was a little bit of a disappointment. You won’t end this book feeling at awe or anything.

Still, this was really good. Gripping, enticing. I felt in my skin the temptation Pearl was under. Sometimes I’d fear Tristan, sometimes I just couldn’t help that weakness in my knees. This is a writer I’m sure to follow from now on.

It’s really rare for me to recommend YA’s to other age ranges, but this book could appeal to an older audience. As I mentioned, it’s not A-grade mystery but it’s still thrilling enough. If this is your thing, you may like this one.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment