May 11, 2018

[Review] Dating Disasters of Emma Nash - Chloe Seager

Summary: When a girl learns from an online status update that her boyfriend has dumped her, she embarks on a series of dating and life adventures, chronicling them in her private blog with hilarious results. For fans of Louise Rennison, Holly Smalle, Sarah Mlynowski and Meg Cabot.

Though she hadn't seen her boyfriend in...weeks...a month...how long?! Emma Nash was in a relationship...until she saw her boyfriend update his online status to "in a relationship" with someone else. Ghosted, dumped, whatever you want to call it, Emma is heartbroken but determined to get herself together and try new things. Starting with a private blog, in which she'll chronicle her adventures with friends and potential love interests with a side of family drama (her mother is a serial dater whose current boyfriend is younger, hot, and poses nude...but we won't go there yet!).
(Pub Date: May 1st, 2018)

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity.

Reminiscent of early-2000's YA's, this funny story goes about a teenager trying to understand the end of her relationship and move on.

Since she's been ghosted by her then boyfriend and now Anna/Apple's boyfriend Leon, Emma blogs about how she's not coping at all. Until she reaches a big low and decides it's time to stop stalking Leon and Apple and edit herself. The story follows her disastrous attempts to find a replacement for Leon when he is all she really wants.

3.5.

It had been a 4-star for a large portion, but I wasn't too into the direction it took. I'm still rounding it up because I can't say this read wasn't worth it. It was, and it was a lot. It had been a while since a book got me laughing so hard. It's not really Meg Cabot but this was the closest I've come in a while to how I felt back when I read her YA books. I also agree with the comparison to Louise Rennison's Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging, even though I liked this one much more than Rennison's.

What I didn't like: Emma's lists got old too soon, I found myself wanting to skip them each time. I think this was a little too graphic in parts? I'm not sure I wanted to read that much about the character's masturbation, for example, so it was a bit awkward. The part where she goes anywhere just to blog was exaggerated—yes, it was funny when she was drunk, but I don't see how realistic it is to write a secret blog but log anywhere for it. I liked the idea of the conclusion, I really like what the author was going for. Still, I didn't feel satisfied.

Now I wonder if there's a sequel planned somewhere? That would certainly fix it for me. Please?

Rating: 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment