May 24, 2017

[Review] Romancing the Throne - Nadine Jolie Courtney

Summary: A juicy contemporary teen romance inspired by Pippa and Kate Middleton, in which two sisters at a British boarding school become fierce competitors when the heart of the heir to the throne comes between them.

For the first time ever, the Weston sisters are at the same boarding school. After an administration scandal at Libby’s all-girls school has threatened her chances at a top university, she decides to join Charlotte at posh and picturesque Sussex Park. Social-climbing Charlotte considers it her sisterly duty to bring Libby into her social circle: Britain’s young elites, glamorous teens who vacation in Hong Kong and the south of France and are just as comfortable at a polo match as they are at a party.

It’s a social circle that just so happens to include handsome, clever 17-year-old Prince Edward, heir to Britain’s throne.

Charlotte’s had her eye on Edward, and soon they’re snogging all over the campus lawn and common rooms-while Libby busies herself with settling into her studies and navigating the complicated social code of Sussex Park. Eager to put her sister at ease, Charlotte encourages Libby to hang out with her new boyfriend. And much to everyone’s surprise, Libby and Edward hit it off. Actually, they really hit it off.

In this juicy, contemporary girl-meets-prince story, two sisters find themselves at odds over the same boy amid high society expectations and paparazzi scandals. In the end, there may be a price to pay for romancing the throne…and more than one path to happily ever after.
(Pub Date: May 30, 2017)


Review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. I also want to thank the publisher for giving me this opportunity.

I don't think this will be the review for you to base yourself, because as I read the book I found out it's not the type of story I like. Thus, my chances of liking it were very small.

So this is a 2.5 but I had too many complaints to round it up to 3.

The story is simple at first. Lotte starts a relationship with Prince Edward, who attends the same boarding school she does. When her sister and best friend has to transfer to that same school all she wants is for her important people to get along. But they get along a little too well, so Lotte begins to worry.

I wish this book had been from Lotte's sister's point of view. On one hand, it would become like any other book about a girl falling for the monarch. On the other, however, Lotte was pretty much unbearable. Yes, it was perfect for character development but even after that she was still what she was. Not my type of person, to be honest. She's outgoing, worried about appearance and too willing to give people makeovers. Also, she's into sports and shopping. I know, that's what girls are but I repeat, not my type of person.

I'll be honest, I was cheering against her. I couldn't wait for her to lose the prince from under her eyes. But to make things worse, the prince was far from being a good guy. The more I knew about him, the less I wanted any of the girls to have to bear with his attitude.

I did like the sister, by the way. No wonder I wish this book had been about her.

The good thing about the story is how it doesn't focus on love being what defines happiness. It's about hitting rock bottom and being able to shake it off, start anew. It's a great lesson, which was a waste on such an unrelatable character.

I would have edited the beginning better, written again about how Lotte and Edward get together in a more exciting and not a need-to-get-this-out-of-the-way manner. But the writing becomes gradually more consistent, I liked how it was a story that could have happened at any stage in their lives with very little changing in the plot. I think this is one of those YA's that could very well not be YA just by changing the characters' ages.

Last, here is my advice: don't read this for the prince.

Rating: 2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment