February 24, 2016

[Review] Will You Won't You Want Me? - Nora Zelevansky

Summary: Marjorie Plum isn't your average washed up prom queen. After all, her New York City prep school was too cool for a royal court. Yet, ten years after high school graduation, she is undeniably stuck in the past and aching for that metaphorical tiara.

But when her life takes an unexpected turn, she is forced to start over, moving in to a tiny box of an apartment in Brooklyn with a musician roommate who looks like a pixie and talks like the Dalai Lama. Desperate to pay rent, she starts tutoring a precocious 11-year-old girl-who becomes the unknowing Ghost of Marjorie Past, beginning a surprise-filled journey towards adulthood, where she learns about herself from the most unlikely sources: a rekindled childhood love, a grumpy (but strangely adorable) new boss, even her tutee. (Pub Date: Apr 19, 2016)

Review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley.

Madge has always had it easy in life or at least she used to. Since becoming an adult, she feels stuck or rather going downhill with a job going nowhere and a roommate who is about to abandon her  and their decade-long friendship with only a few days notice.Without money, a house or even friends to count on, she needs to give up life in Manhattan for a room in Brooklyn and learn a new lifestyle. But when she has a chance of going back, maybe that was actually the best for her all along?

This was amusing. The style has singular marks, which both entertains you and makes you think of the situations depicted. Moreover, the problems present are very real for anyone in their late twenties or early thirties. Being the same age as Madge, even though I wasn't any Madgesty at school, I could certainly identify her line of thought. It wasn't full on drama, it did ring true.

Also, this story brings a love triangle. And the choice isn't only about the best man for Madge but the life that each of them means for her. None of them is the despicable character you'll immediately see as the one she should never go for, like so many books bring. I was actually as torn as Madge... Even though the author does eventually use some cliches to help you decide the best pick ("we don't share the same tastes!", "he never says what I need to listen!") I must say I was very glad at how she solved this. You'll need to read the book to know, of course.

All characters were more or less enjoyable. I wasn't too keen on Madge, even if I did identify myself with her dilemmas. At the same time, I never thought anything bad of her, as the description led me to fear, with the tiara reference. The minor characters had life of their own, and I would look forward to some of them, like Belinda and Madge's father.

The negative points: I repeat, I did like the style she used for the narration but her digressions would get too long and thus the book itself was longer than it needed (and I found myself skipping whole paragraphs). Contrasting, the ending was as sudden as a TV series given only one episode to close a 10-season worth of plot holes. (The author did manage to give closure, in my opinion, but all of a sudden everything was rushed out.)

This chick lit to the core, entertaining and quick to read. More like a 3.5, and I look forward to more from this author.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment