June 15, 2016

[Review] Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon #2) - Jamie Beck

Summary: On her thirty-first birthday, hopeless romantic Kelsey Callihan has all but given up on happily ever afters, which is why she agrees to a risqué proposition from Sterling Canyon’s notorious playboy, backcountry skier Trip Lexington. After all, every girl needs a little fun, and with Trip, there are no mixed signals or risks of a broken heart. And if his tips can help her land a husband in the process, all the better.



Review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. I think this was the first time Montlake Romance has approved me, and I was very excited for the chance.

Kelsey has always given her best when in love, borderline-stalking her love interests. But she wouldn't let Trip become one after the fiasco with Grey, his best friend who has now become her friend's boyfriend. That until he offered to become her secret affair while teaching how to become more attractive to guys. Having always dreamed of having a guy who would also love her back, Kelsey accepts the offer.

I was disappointed at the beginning, for the story had all the usual elements of a romance so promptly there we could see everything happening with no need to read. Boring. However, as it progressed, the characters and their conflicts had me entranced, so the book grew on me.

Overall, it is still your average romance. The type the main characters keep quarreling for who knows what reason, while half their friends are sure to be sexual tension, and suddenly they have forced intimacy to make them notice how strongly they love each other. So the girl waits for the guy to fall for her, and change his playboy behavior for the one only.

On the other hand, the characters weren't shallow. And I have to mention, Fiona, Kelsey's niece, is just so cute! Her fantasizing about her aunt's wedding were my favorite scenes.

The reader can also enjoy a good inner conflict, especially on Trip's side. He has a very difficult family situation, the reason why he refuses to ever get married. Kelsey's issue is also relatable, how she'll give all her heart the moment a guy interests her, and the author knew not to overdo, which made me ache even more for her.

Even though the main plot is nothing new, you can also find realistic details I wouldn't have expected. I especially liked the way Kelsey and Trip diverged on a sale—one of the side plots—, as well as the part it played in the plot twist later on.

I should also note I haven't read the first in the series. I wasn't even aware there was one until I started the book. The only minus in this is that now I actually want to get the first book, but I don't think I missed anything for this second story. Well, I did get spoilers on how the previous one ended. If you don't mind them, you can just go ahead to this one. You won't have any issues understanding the characters.

While I can't say the story is deep and meaningful, it brings up some discussion beyond its entertainment purpose other books of the same genre wouldn't. I don't think it deserves a tenth above 3 stars, but a fan of romances is sure to have a good time. Well-written, charismatic characters, reasonable ending; I guess that's what we usually look for. I also liked the character-building here so I'm curious to get more from this author.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment